iPhone lost or stolen. This situation can be stressful and traumatic! In times of panic, you do not always know how to do it. That’s why you need to activate iPhone Lost Mode immediately by using Find My iPhone on iCloud.com
LOCATE MY IPHONE
“Locate my iPhone” in the settings allows you to associate your Apple ID to your device. Apple stores this identifier securely on its servers.
This feature automatically activates the activation lock option. This will prevent a third party from reactivating and using your iPhone without the password of the identifier, and therefore, without your permission. This allows a better security of the device.
To do this, simply keep the Find My iPhone feature enabled and remember your Apple ID and your password associated with this ID.
WHAT DOES iPHONE LOST MODE MEAN?
In case of iPhone lost or stolen, Apple recommends to immediately activate the iPhone lost mode.
This mode locks your iOS device so that no other person can access your personal information. It also allows you to track the movements of the person in possession of your device.
The use of this iPhone lost mode requires to be at least under iOS 10.3.
- You can lock your screen with a code and display a personalized message on the screen. For example: indicate that the device is lost, or how to contact you.
- Your device does not display an alert or send any sound when you receive messages or notifications. You will always receive phone calls and FaceTime calls.
- Apple Pay is disabled, and all credit cards configured on your device for this service are suspended even if it is offline. You will be able to reuse your suspended cards after unlocking and after logging into iCloud.
ENABLE Iphone LOST MODE OR DELETE REMOTE DEVICE
Locating my iPhone is the only feature to locate a lost or stolen iPhone. however, it must be activated upstream.
If the lost or stolen iPhone is disabled or offline, you can still place it in iPhone Lost mode, lock it or delete it remotely to protect your data.
HOW TO ENABLE iPHONE LOST MODE
- Launch Locate my iPhoneon com and enter your username and password.
- If you had enabled Locate my iPhonebefore the loss or theft, the page will instantly show on the screen the location of your device.
- Click the All My Devicestab, and then select your device to view its location on the map.
- Select “iPhone Lost Mode“by clicking on the corresponding icon.
- Enter the access code of your iOS device to unlock it. If not, you will be prompted to create a code right away.
- If you place a family member’s iOS device in iPhone LostMode, without any access code configured, you will need to enter the password for that person’s Apple ID.
- Enter a valid phone number that will reach you. This number will be displayed on the locked device screen.
- You can display a personalized message on the screen to indicate that the device has been lost, or to tell you how to contact you. The message will be displayed on the locked screen of the device.
- If the device is nearby, you can make it sound so you can find it more easily.
- The ultimate possibility would be to remotely erase all the data it contains by selecting “Erase iPhone“.
Important: If you cannot find your Apple ID or fail to reset your password, you will not be able to access your account and may not be able to use or reactivate your device. “iPhone Lost Mode” locks the device. “Clear iPhone” will delete all the data it contains.
WHAT TO DO Then?
Report the loss or theft of your iPhone, who may disable your account to prevent any phone calls, SMS sending, and any use of data.
Should be Reported theft or loss to the local authorities. You may be required to provide them with the serial number of the device.
How to find the serial number?
- Refer to the barcode on the original packaging
- Or on the original receipt of the product or its invoice
- Or on the tiny icon of the iPhone, in iTunes, the serial number is displayed next to its section Summary
HOW TO DISABLE iPHONE LOST MODE
Just enter your access code on the device. You can also disable the Lost mode on the iCloud.com address by clicking the Locate application.
IMPORTANT TIPS WITH IPHONE LOST MODE
When buying an iPhone from an authorized Apple retailer or an individual, make sure the iPhone data has been erased. This will mean that latter its no longer associated with the account of its former owner.
- Activate the device and start the configuration process.
- If you see the Activation Lock Display, with Apple ID Request and Password, this will mean that the previous owner has left all his data in place. So, give him back the device and ask him to do everything necessary to erase everything and untie the device from his account.
Deleting the data on the iOS device deletes all the information that the device contains (including those related to credit cards used with Apple Pay). The same is true of the impossibility of locating it by using the Locate my iPhone feature.
To disable the Activation Lock feature, the device must be unplugged from the account of its previous owner after clearing the data. Thus, anyone in possession of the ” new ” device will then be able to activate it and use it.
When the ” new ” device displays this message ” Set up your iPhone ” when first turned on, everything is OK with iPhone lost mode.
THE TOOL TO TEST THE ACTIVATION LATCH
Faced with the recovery of iPhone theft, Apple had set up on its website a tool to check the status of activation lock of a device in connection with the purchase or sale of a device second hand. To do this, you had to enter the serial number or the IMEI number of the device.
However, for a reason that iPhone lost mode belongs to Apple, the Cupertino company has removed this useful tool for the second-hand market. It allowed to make sure not to buy a stolen device online.
WHAT SOLUTION, IN THIS CASE?
The solution would be, from now on, to make a manual verification on the device in the presence of the seller. The owner of the device for sale should, logically, have the password of his Apple ID. It can, thus, unlock the device to delete all its data.
Avoid acquiring an iPhone whose data from the previous owner is still present on the device. It will first have to disable the Locate my iPhone option and then reset all the factory settings. You can then configure your iPhone with a new Apple ID.
An iPhone is an object of value having iPhone lost mode. Take great care of it. If despite this, it is lost or stolen, then think about quickly activate the lost mode and lock it.
The ultimate parade, if you really fear for your personal information stored inside, would be to erase them remotely. But first check that you have made a backup of your data on iTunes or iCloud so you can recover them for transfer to the new device.
615 total views, 1 views today